Thursday, October 27, 2016

MAKING YEAST DONUTS






One of my favorite things to make (or for my mom to make) was yeast donuts.  It was such a delicious treat.  My mom did not make these often, but when she did we thoroughly enjoyed them.

Yeast donuts are a bit different and more involved to make than cake donuts.  It takes quite a bit more time as the dough has to rise, then rise again after cutting out the donuts.  I loved helping cut out donuts.  I loved taking out the little holes that would come from each cut.  Some of those we put back into the dough to roll again for more donuts, but we got to save some to fry and make donut holes.

It seems that donut making came on a Saturday.  I guess my mom had more time on Saturdays to bake or make special treats.  One of the funny things I remember is that it seemed a certain song would be on the radio each time we made donuts.  My mom listened to a radio station out of Muleshoe, TX, called KMUL ( pronounced K MULE).  She listened to that station so that she could get updates on local news and people. Anyway, the song that would come on while making donuts was a song called "Big Bad John".

After cutting out the donuts and letting them rise, we would fry them in a deep fryer.  Then after they were fried and cooled a bit, we would glaze them.  We made a glaze from powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk.  We took a fork, put it through the hole, dipped the donut in the glaze, then placed the fork on the edge of the bowl so that the handle of the fork was on the table.  This let the glaze drip from the donut back into the bowl.  Then came the fun part of eating them.  SOOOOO Delicious!

One time when we made donuts, I got heartburn, but I didn't know what was my problem.  I would get this hurting/burning sensation in my chest.  I thought I was just hungry.  So I would fix my problem by eating another donut.  That did the trick, but only temporarily.  So back to the donut stash to eat another, with the same results.  Finally, my mom began to question me. I was probably eating way too many donuts, and my intake had to be curtailed.  My mom figured out I was experiencing heartburn.  She gave me some Tums, which stopped my heartburn. That was the beginning of my heartburn woes. I  have had heartburn issues ever since that day.  Sad to say that such a delicious treat started my ailment.  Oh well. I still eat yeast donuts and love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment