Friday, October 7, 2016

CHRISTMAS PAST

In thinking of other childhood memories, I began to think about holidays, and of course, Christmas came to mind.

Christmas was a very exciting holiday because we knew we would get Christmas presents, and especially those that would come from Santa Claus.  Decorating the tree, putting up other Christmas decorations,  making Christmas candy, making and icing cookies, and other goodies was so fun.  We loved putting up the colorful lights, though we only had one string that went on the outside of our front door.  We did have a string of lights to go on the tree. The lights were the big lights, none of these small blinking white or colored lights of today.


We had several different types of trees through the years.  We had real fresh trees, green artificial, and for several years an aluminum tree.



For stockings, we just put up an old sock of my dad's.  In the stocking we usually got an apple, orange, nuts, and candy.

Some of the toys I got from Santa are pictured below.  Some of the pictures are just similar to what I had, but some are the exact thing, which I will designate as such.


Kissy Doll - Exact.   If you pulled both arms of the doll together, the lips on the doll would make a kissing motion, and there was a "pop" for the kissing sound.  My mom still has this doll.  She kept it for all these years.
                                                         


    Doll crib- Similar.  Mine was pink. The side of the crib
    would actually go up and down.  A piece of hard  board was the bottom of                                             the bed. There was no mattress. You had to use a blanket for                                                                   a mattress.



My doll buggy was very similar, but of course mine was pink.
One year I got a metal toy washer.  You could put water in the washer tub and the clothes would actually wash.  There was a tube that was used to drain the water into a sink or bathtub. Another gift received was an ironing board and iron..  The iron was electric and actually got hot.  Maybe toys were more dangerous back then.

(The washer pictured is similar.  Mine was pink also.  The iron and ironing board were pretty much exact) Also pink.  I seemed to have liked the color pink or "Santa" did.  






I had these exact dishes and this exact dish cabinet.  I am pretty sure my girls remember these.  I may still have one or 2 in my toy box for the grandkids to play with.  My girls got to play with the dish cabinet for sure.

There were many other presents from Santa over the years.  I had other dolls, doll clothes, dishes, a bike, clothes, jewelry, etc.  The ones shown here were some of my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment