Friday, May 21, 2010

Trying to Accidentally Commit Suicide


This is the scene of the accident. This morning Brian decided he would ask me to help him cut down a dead tree in our back yard. He had already cut down some smaller ones yesterday. So I am thinking, "I can do this". My part was to hold on to the rope and pull when the tree started to come down. The other part was to move to the left, right, or back when the tree began to fall. I cannot describe what happened, or what my thinking was at the time. I just know I heard Brian say, "Ok, it's coming down. GET OUT OF THE WAY!!!!"

I was standing there watching it come; but for some reason, I did not move. I was either thinking that I was standing far enough out so that the branches would miss me, or I was totally mesmerized by the falling tree. In any case, I did get hit by some of the side branches.

Brian began to come at me immediately and was sort of shouting, " I told you to move. Why did you just stand there? You could have been killed! I'm not kidding!" I thought he was going to take me by the shoulders and shake me for a minute. I deserved every rebuke that I received. I still do not know what happened.

Here is the result.





It could have been so much worse. I did get a tiny scratch on my face and neck. This is the real damage--a nasty scratch on my leg and foot. The top part of my foot is a bit sore and bruised.

Brian said that I would not be a good candidate for a logging job---I would be the first casualty. HA! He is not kidding.

No more tree cutting for me. I will stick with gardening, house work, and sitting at a computer.

5 comments:

  1. Glad you are OK. I probably would have been standing under the falling tree right beside you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my goodness! that's scary! glad you got away with only minor injuries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that's quite a cut.....I have to admit the story made me laughout loud. Did you cut the right tree? The pic looks like a green tree to me
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH, forgot that Brian had to cut three small trees that were right by the fence. They were causing the fence to lean over bad! Thus the green leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh no! Bless your heart. Glad you didn't get hurt worse!

    ReplyDelete