Sunday, May 16, 2010

Childhood Memories of Spring

Since I have been longing for spring and warm weather, I recently started thinking about some of my favorite childhood memories of spring. Instead of talking about all of them in one post, I have decided to write about just one each time.

One of the things that I really loved about spring was getting to go barefoot. My feet had been confined in shoes and socks all winter, and now it was time to put the shoes away and let my feet breathe and enjoy the cool green grass. Irrigation used to involve cutting ditches for the water and then using tubes to siphon the water into rows to water the crops. There was a ditch that ran close to the house. I would go out and sit on the bank and put my feet into the cold water. There would usually be some new clover coming up, and I loved the way it looked and smelled. There just seemed to be some sort of freedom in not wearing shoes. I knew that when I got to go barefoot, school was nearly over for the year and the entire summer was ahead.

3 comments:

  1. Will you go barefoot this summer one it warms up? My feet are too wimpy now to go barefoot. :( Oh well. Flip flops are the next best thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love being barefoot. It pains me when I can no longer wear flip flops as it gets cold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your idea! Can't wait to read about your next spring memory!

    ReplyDelete