Wednesday, April 21, 2010

CONTEMPLATING

Lately I have been contemplating about doing something different ---
work -wise. A few years ago, I looked into medical transcription. At that time it seemed quite costly, and I was not sure if I wanted to invest the money it would take to get training and equipment. Would medical transcription really be a job that was in demand?

The other day a lady at work told me that if she could type as fast as I could that she would be doing medical transcription.

Once again I am faced with questions:
1) What would it cost to get training and equipment?
2) Is this a job that will fade out with new technologies?
3) How does one get clients (doctors, hospitals, etc) who need reports transcribed?
4) What is the pay for such work?
5) Do I really want to do all that much typing?
6) Would I enjoy the work?
7)Would I miss going to the office, in terms of the social aspect?

The pro side is:
1) I could work from home.
2) I am fairly sure I could choose my hours to work and the days I would want to work.
3) I could have more flexibility to go places and do things that I cannot do now.
4) I could possibly take my work with me if we should need to go see family.
5) There would possibly be time for more volunteer work, home projects, visiting, gardening, or other activities.

Maybe I am dreaming. Anyway, I think it is time to start the search again. If any of you have any ideas, thoughts, or suggestions, they would be welcome.



3 comments:

  1. I think my doula does this to supplement her income. Maybe I can ask her how it works for her. I have heard the whole technology will take over this job thing too but it seems like plenty of people are still doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also know a girl who does this so that she can stay home with her kids. It must be pretty profitable if this can replace a full-time job for her. I will also try to get in touch with her to see what her perspective is on it and how she got into it. Personally, I think it sounds like a great option for you, but then again, it's always good to check things out thoroughly! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your help. I surely don't want to get into an job that will be outdated in a matter of time. Will be waiting to hear what you find out. In the meantime, I hope to do some research on-line.

    ReplyDelete